Squash And Black Bean Chilli: Autumn Comfort Food.
Squash and black bean chilli, anyone?
Either stuff a whole squash with the chilli, or dice and roast the squash and add it to the chilli.
The latter opens up a whole variety of serving suggestions: eat it with rice or in a baked potato; top it with a dollop of soured cream, some spicy tomato salsa or some guacamole; stuff it in a taco with some grated cheese; or spread it over a tortilla.
If you are stuffing the squash you will need to use one that is a suitable size and will hold its shape when cooked, such as onion squash.
You Will Need:
1 medium butternut, large onion or smallish crown prince squash
2 tbsp olive oil, plus extra for roasting
1 large onion, chopped
4 celery sticks, finely chopped
1 red pepper, deseeded and chopped
1 green pepper, deseeded and chopped
3 large garlic cloves, crushed
1–2 tsp crushed chipotle chillies (if you can’t source them, substitute another fresh or dried red chilli)
1 tsp dried marjoram or handful of fresh oregano
2 bay leaves
2 tsp ground cumin
1 x 400g can chopped tomatoes
2 x 400g cans black beans, rinsed and drained
juice of 1 lime (approx. 2 tbsp)
small bunch of coriander, finely chopped
salt and black pepper
grated cheese and/or soured cream, to serve (optional)
1.) Heat the oven to 180°C/Gas 4. If stuffing a whole squash, cut it in half, scoop out the seeds and pulp, and stuff each half; or roasting in chunks.
2.) Heat the oil in a large heavy pan over a medium–high heat. Add the onion and celery. Reduce the heat to medium, and cook, stirring occasionally, for about 10 minutes until soft. Add the peppers and continue cooking for a further 10 minutes or so, stirring frequently.
3.) Stir in the garlic, and cook for another minute. Add the chilli, 1–2 teaspoons of salt, 1 teaspoon of black pepper, the herbs and cumin.
4.) Give everything a good mix then add the tomatoes. Simmer, uncovered, for about 30 minutes. Stir in the beans and continue to simmer for a further 10 minutes.
5.) Remove the bay leaves, stir in the lime juice and coriander and adjust the seasoning to taste. If using roast squash, add it now, heat through, and then serve. If stuffing a whole squash, fill each roasted squash half with the filling mixture.
6.) Top with grated cheese or soured cream (or both), if you like.
Squash And Black Bean Chilli: Autumn Comfort Food. Guest post from Riverford. No payment was received.
- Lady & The Tramp Shirt With Jeans And Street Art
- Dark Red Jumper Dress To Match My Flowers
- Showtime Now bring On The Cabaret, My Friends
- Spooky Photoshoot In The Woods
- Happy Balloons Around The World Day
- Bake Halloween Cookies: 31 Days Of October
- Autumn Layering Fashion Ideas: 31 Days Of
- Bake An Apple Pie: 31 Days Of October
- Red And Black Polka Dot Shirt From The Charity Shop
- Last Days Of The Warm Sunshine And Summer Dresses
- Flowered Jumpsuit And Polka Dot Trainer
- Selfie Saturday With The Owl Trail In Nottingham
- Can Not Resist A Bargain & My Biggest Bargain Ever
- Pink Animal Print Dress & A Black Polo Neck Jumper
- Two Heads Are Better Than One By Ryan Mosley