Beetroot And Pink Peppercorn Gratin. Hello friends, so how are you today? Fancy making this beetroot & pink peppercorn gratin?
Comforting and colourful, this hearty gratin gets its mild warmth and fruity, spiced edge from the pink peppercorns. A food processor or mandolin will make quick work of the prep, otherwise settle down with a very sharp knife.
How To Make Beetroot And Pink Peppercorn Gratin:
Serves 6 as a side.
You Will Need:
- 2 large garlic cloves, peeled
- 400ml double cream
- 800g beetroot, peeled & cut into 2mm slices
- 175g sourdough bread, sliced (best if slightly stale)
- 20g cold butter, diced
- 1 tsp sunflower, rapeseed or olive oil
- 1 tbsp pink peppercorns, finely ground
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- salt & black pepper
How To Make:
- Heat the oven to 180°C/Gas 4.
- Lightly crush the garlic cloves with the flat of a knife and put them into a small pan with the cream.
- Slowly bring to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes.
- Strain the cream through a sieve, pressing the garlic with the back of a spoon to extract its flavour.
- Season generously with salt and mix well.
- Pack the beetroot flat into a roasting dish and pour over the cream.
- Cover tightly with foil and bake for about 1 hour, until the beetroot is just tender.
- Meanwhile, pulse the bread in a food processor or blender until reduced to coarse crumbs.
- Add the butter and oil and pulse again until the butter is evenly distributed.
- Remove the foil from the roasting dish, then stir in the ground peppercorns and red wine vinegar.
- Taste and adjust the seasoning if necessary.
- Cover with the breadcrumbs and return to the oven for 25 minutes or so, until golden brown on top.
- Instead of the peppercorns and vinegar, add a little freshly grated horseradish or a spoonful from a jar.
- Stir in some fresh or dried herbs, such as thyme, sage or finely chopped rosemary.
- Replace half the beetroot with potato or another root veg.
So what do you think about this Beetroot And Pink Peppercorn Gratin recipe? Do you also fancy making it? Guest post from Riverford.
You Might Also Like:
- Firstly, Golden Cornbread with Smashed Avocado and Crispy Bacon. Cornbread is very easy to make – and it tastes SO good! Here it’s served with mashed avocado and crispy bacon, with an extra drizzle of golden syrup. Golden Cornbread with Smashed Avocado and Crispy Bacon.
- Secondly, 5-Upcycled Garden Ideas: Creative Ideas For Spring. Secondly, some more garden ideas. How does your garden look? My back garden is so dull and boring after Winter, it’s not much fun walking into it. Especially now we are in lock down and the garden is the only place we can visit!! 5 Upcycled Garden Ideas: Creative Ideas For Spring.
- How To Make Caramelised Shallot Soda Bread with Herby Butter. Thirdly, National Picnic Week takes place 15-24th June 2018 across the UK so I thought it would be perfect timing to share this Caramelised Shallot Soda Bread with Herby Butter recipe. This easy soda bread with caramelised shallots is a delicious accompaniment with cheese or to dip into soup with a slab of herby butter on top! How To Make Caramelised Shallot Soda Bread with Herby Butter.
Thank you so much for stopping by.