Recipe courtesy of Watercress.
Watercress And Elderflower Martin To Make Today, invented by Robert Merjavy, Chester, UK
Feast Like a King this Christmas with Watercress.
Think of Christmas foods and watercress may not immediately spring to mind.
But this wasn’t always the case – in medieval royal courts, watercress was a key element in a big feast, used like bread to mop up the gravy.
It was also believed to cleanse the palate so had a double purpose at a banquet, with its hot peppery flavour preparing the taste buds for the next rich onslaught.
We may use watercress in a slightly more sophisticated manner these days but nevertheless, it’s still valued for its fresh peppery kick and the subtle seasoning it provides.
Taking a leaf or two from our forebears, we’ve prepared a Christmas feast fit for a king, with rich, indulgent flavours all offset by the clean bite of watercress.
So, go ahead – eat, drink and be merry, after all, one message that has successfully passed down the centuries is: “At Christmas play and make good cheer for Christmas comes but once a year.”*
It’s hot work all that cooking so refresh yourself with this rather tasty tipple – you deserve it!
Keep your eyes peeled as for the next few days I have some lovely recipes to share with you from Watercress.
Watercress And Elderflower Martin:
Prep time: 5 minutes
4 lime wedges
10ml Belvoir Organic Elderflower Cordial
40ml Tanqueray gin
15ml Martini and Rossi Extra Dry Vermouth
Fresh watercress leaves as garnish
Watercress And Elderflower Martin Method:
1. Muddle the watercress and lime with the elderflower cordial to release the flavour and colour of the watercress.
2. Add some ice and the remaining ingredients. Shake vigorously and strain into a chilled martini glass, then garnish with fresh watercress leaves. Serve immediately.
Merry Christmas! And enjoy!
Watercress And Elderflower Martin Recipe courtesy of:
For these and other tempting watercress recipes, visit Watercress.
Recipe photography credits Lara Jane Thorpe.
Thomas Tusser English poet 1524-1580.
You might also like:
- Sparkly Party Dresses For Christmas 2011
- Mini Satay Chicken Skewers: Christmas Party Food Ideas
- Cheese And Marmite Straws Anyone? How Tasty!!
- Cheese and Leek Croquettes: Christmas Dinner Sides
- Milk Chocolate Tiramisu Dinner Party Treat
- Red Berry Meringue Roulade: Special Occasions
- Very Berry Pimms: Great For Any Party
- Scottish Berry Trifle: Great For Afternoon Tea
- Podium Power Porridge, Superfast Superfood Salad, An Isotonic Sports Smoothie And Raspberry Recovery Bars
- Boozy Brownie, Cherry And Walnut Trifle: How To Make
- Berry Amarula Eton Mess: Afternoon Tea In The Garden
- Strawberry Orangeade Rockets: Great For Kids
- Lyle’s Golden Syrup Cupcakes: How Yummy!?
- Halloween Chocolate Pots: Graveyard Special
- Cauliflower Cheese And Ham Tart: Party Food