Cape Malay Chicken Curry: How Tasty.
This Indian-influenced curry is a fragrant combination of chicken, onions, garlic, South African apple and sweet potato with turmeric, chillies, cumin and cardamom.
It’s a spicy, warming treat!
How To Make A Cape Malay Chicken Curry:
Preparation: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 40 minutes
1 large onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 red chilli, deseeded and chopped
1tsp ground turmeric
1tsp ground cumin
6 cardamom pods, bashed to split them
1 cinnamon stick
500g chicken breast, chopped into chunks
1 South African Pink Lady or Granny Smith apple, peeled, cored and chopped
200g sweet potato, peeled, cored and diced
400g can coconut milk
200ml chicken or vegetable stock
2tbsp chopped fresh coriander
2tsp cornflour, blended with a little cold water
200g basmati rice
5cm piece of cucumber, very finely chopped
6tbsp natural yogurt
Finely sliced red onion
chopped coriander to garnish
How To Make Cape Malay Chicken Curry:
1.) Melt the butter in a large saucepan and gently fry the onion and garlic for 4-5 minutes, until softened.
2.) Add the chilli, turmeric, cumin, cardamom pods and cinnamon stick and fry gently for another 1-2 minutes.
3.) Stir in the chicken and cook for 2-3 minutes to seal, then add the apple, sweet potato, coconut milk, stock and coriander.
4.) Simmer gently, partially covered, for 30-35 minutes, topping up with a splash of hot water if needed.
5.) About 10 minutes before the end of cooking time, put the rice on to cook in lightly salted simmering water. Cook for 10 minutes, or until tender.
6.) Mix the cucumber and yogurt together and season with a pinch of salt.
7.) Thicken the curry with the blended cornflour, then serve with the rice and cucumber raita, garnished with red onion and chopped coriander.
Cook’s tip: Use regular potato instead of sweet potato, if you prefer.
The campaign is run by HORTGRO, the industry association representing South African fruit growers.
Recipe and images courtesy of: South African Fruit.
What do you think of this Cape Malay Chicken Curry recipe?
Fancy trying it?
You might also like these curry recipes:
Some More Posts That Might Be Of Interest:
- How To Make Apple Of Your Eye Pie…
- BerryWorld Blueberry And Lemon Curd Muffins: How To
- Sweet Potato Topped with Ricotta, Celery And Radish
- Quick And Easy To Make Vegan Frosted Lemon Cake
- Marshmallow Crispy Cupcakes: Great For Parties
- Indian Turkey Curry With Shallots: Fiery Curry Recipe
- Turkey, Gammon And Sprout Pot Pie: A Perfect Recipe At
- Christmas Leftover Veg Tart For A Delicious Meal
- Baked Eggnog Cheesecake, Ginger And Maple Crust
- BerryWorld Cranberry Meringue Roulade With
- 6 Christmas Pea Recipes: The Christmas Pea Recipes
- How To Make A Black Forest Gateau Roulade
- Fruit And Nut Stuffing Bake And How To Make Some
- Holiday Mulled Cranberry Juice: Great For Christmas
- 10 Drinks Ideas To Try Out This Christmas 2020
Latest From The Blog:
- Isle of Wight Tomato Shakshuka: Supper Sorted
- Chocolate Fondue That You Will Want To Share
- All Dressed Up With Nowhere To Go
- How To Make Apple Of Your Eye Pie…
- 20 Valentine Recipes To Try Out This Valentine’s Day
- The Photo Shoot With My Daughter: Black And White
- Pink Saturday And A Reminder Of Better Thing’s
- Do You Want To Build A Snowman: What I Wore
- Bohemia’s Top Tips On The Best Valentine’s Day Desserts
- Flashback Friday: London Travels With Mini Me
- Quick And Easy Shoe Re-Style For Valentines Day
- BerryWorld Strawberry and Almond Macarons: How To
- 10 Smoothie Bowl Recipes To Try Out This Week!!
- 12 Recipes For Veganuary: Recipe Inspiration To Try
- Teddy Coat, Bootleg Jeans & Trying To Find The Sunshine