Recipe c/o Food Network.
The Golden Chilli Unicorn Cupcake.
To celebrate the launch of Chopped, the show that uses the unlikeliest pairings to bring together the tastiest dishes, Food Network has partnered with culinary wizards Flavourtown to create The Golden Chilli Unicorn cupcake.
Chopped UK is on Food Network Thursdays at 9PM.
How To Create The Golden Chilli Unicorn Cupcake:
Cook time 24 Mins
Prep time 45 Mins
For The Cake:
- 225g light brown sugar
- 175g unsalted butter
- 3 large eggs
- 275g plain flour
- 100g valrhona cocoa powder
- 350ml buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 teaspoons bicarbonate of soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
For The Chocolate Chilli Frosting:
- 250g softened butter
- 500g sifted icing sugar
- 100g melted 70% dark chocolate
- 60-75g whole milk
- 50g cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon mild chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
For the Golden Unicorn Decorations:
- 250g Red sugar paste
- 250g White sugar paste
- Edible gold paint or edible gold spray paint
The Golden Chilli Unicorn Cupcake Method:
1. For the cupcake, start by creaming butter and sugars for 5-10 minutes until fluffy and light in colour.
2. Sift flour, cocoa powder, bicarbonate of soda and salt together and set aside. Mix vanilla into buttermilk and set aside.
3. Add eggs one at a time and beat for 1 minute between each addition.
4. Stop and scrape down the bowl and mix again until pillowy and well incorporated.
5. Add one third of the dry ingredients on a slow speed and mix until just incorporated.
6. Add half the buttermilk and mix just until the milk is incorporated.
7. Stop and scrape down and add another third of the flour followed by the buttermilk.
8. Once the final batch of flour is incorporated scrape down one final time and ensure the batter is one constant colour all the way through.
9. Scoop into baking pans and bake for 24 minutes at 300F.
To Make The Frosting:
1. To make the frosting, cream butter for five minutes until white, pale, and fluffy.
2. Add half the icing sugar and start to mix on low speed until incorporated and then turn up to medium and beat for 3 minutes.
3. Slowly add remaining icing sugar, chilli powder and cinnamon in the same way and beat on medium. Gradually add milk one tablespoon at a time until desired consistency is reached. Add in vanilla.
4. Add cooled melted chocolate and beat again until incorporated.
1. For the golden unicorn decorations, first, roll the red sugar paste to a thickness of approximately 4mm.
2. Using a knife or a petal cutter, shape the fondant into an ear shape and pinch one end to give the ear more definition.
3. Paint gold highlights using edible gold paint and set aside to dry.
4. Roll the white sugar paste into two small balls and shape into two rolls that both taper at one end.
5. Twist the shapes together to form the unicorn horn.
6. Using food-safe brushes, paint the horns with edible gold paint or an edible gold spray.
7. Leave all the fondant to dry and go hard – ideally leave overnight to set completely.
The Golden Chilli Unicorn Cupcake Recipe c/o Food Network
What do you think?
Fancy making some of these, The Golden Chilli Unicorn Cupcake?
Share your thoughts in the comments below↡
You might also like these Alternative Christmas Cake from The Food Network too.
Looking for more unicorn inspired recipes?
How about these Magic Unicorn Oats?
A Few Posts You Might Have Missed:
- 100 Life Size Elephants Spotted In London
- Bonmarché Printed Jersey Dress With Converse
- 4 Burgers Ideas For Your Summer BBQ Party
- A Battered Mars Bar And What I Really Thought
- 4 Coleslaw Recipes For Your Summer BBQ Party
- What I Wore Wednesday: This Week’s Link Up
- 5 Fun Drink Recipes To Try Out: Great For BBQ’S
- 1907 Link Up Your Favourite Posts This Week
- Snoobear: The Bears Of Sheffield & A Link Up
- 1207 Link Up Your Favourite Posts This Week